Tuesday, February 05, 2013

An Armed Camp or a Classroom?

What do you think Texas parents would prefer, sending their children to a school to learn things, or sending their children to an armed camp? Legislators in the state capitol met today to discuss the arming of teachers in schools – among other things – and listened to a wide spectrum of ideas about all that. You can read about some of these ideas here.
 
As I mentioned in a previous blog, there is one school district in northern Texas that has permitted some of its teachers to carry concealed weapons to protect the school should there be an armed attack by gun-wielding villains. And in Utah, teachers have been allowed to carry concealed weapons and are not required to tell the parents of their students that they do. As a matter of fact, they are forbidden to do this – it’s all part of the safety plan.
And like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion.
But whose opinion should legislators listen to? Of all the interested parties, whose opinion matters the most?
If you don’t know the answer to that question you have never been a parent, or you have forgotten what it’s like to be one.
The only people whose opinions matter in this controversy are parents. I say let the parents all vote, and the pro-armed camp teachers can all have their children bussed to one campus where every teacher is packing a Glock.
All one of them.
One teacher and a one room schoolhouse is all you would need. Preferably painted red.

2 comments:

Rhymes With Right said...

Speaking as a teacher, I'm all for arming some (but not all) of my colleagues. Indeed, I'm amazed at the number of my colleagues -- of all demographic groups -- who support it. When a group of my colleagues and I talked about it, we actually had a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, mixed gender group decide to get CHLs so that they would be able to defend their students in the event the legislature acted. And FYI, I was one of only two Republicans in the group.

Hal said...

Greg, I think you missed the point of my post (again). Your opinion on being (or not being) armed in a classroom is irrelevant. The only people that have a stake in this issue are the parents, and speaking as a parent, and not a teacher I would never want my childrens' teacher to carry a weapon of any sort into a classroom.